The Most Common Electrical Issues Homeowners Face

November 7, 2017

Electrical circuit breaker Being a homeowner comes with all kinds of surprises you never had to deal with as a renter, but some of the worst are electrical problems. Not only can they be some of the most dangerous, but common electrical problems plague most homeowners at one point or another. Being able to identify what you might be dealing with and when it’s time to call in the experts can save you time, money, and help you avoid potential disasters.

Flickering Lights

Lights that flicker and dim are spooky, for sure, but they can also be indicative of a bigger problem that likely needs professional attention. If it’s a consistent issue you’re experiencing, chances are your lights are flickering due to a poor connection in your circuit. However, it may also be due to a loose bulb or having an LED bulb on a circuit that uses a dimmer switch. Once you’ve ruled out the easily fixed possibilities, if you’re still experiencing flickering lights, it’s time to consider that the connection may be faulty and bringing in a technician should be your next step. Faulty connections left unattended can generate abnormal electric loads and an unsafe amount of heat, leading to a risk of fire.

Light Switches That Do Nothing

There are few things more frustrating than flipping a light switch that usually helps illuminate a dark room and having nothing happen. while this is usually a pretty simple fix such as a burnt out bulb, or a switch that has loosened over time, it can sometimes be something bigger. If dead appliances and fixtures persist, call a professional to come ensure you don’t face short circuits or potential fires from faulty connections.

Overloading Outlets

We live in a technological world. It’s not uncommon to have a number of appliances and devices that need to be plugged in in a single room but there’s only one outlet. While employing the use of an extension cord or an additional power strip can be helpful in some cases, beware of overloading an outlet in your home. When an outlet is forced to draw too much energy, it may overload. Most homes are equipped with a circuit breaker that will help prevent damage from occurring if this happens, but if you find your circuit breaker tripping constantly, you might want to consider where you are overloading your outlets. This can be a huge fire risk, so it’s important to avoid at all costs.

Faulty Wiring

If you’re moving into a new home and the previous owners did any handiwork themselves, this can be a common problem depending on the knowledge level the previous owners had about the issue they were trying to fix. Typically, faulty wiring or breakers will be indicated by one of the other issues on this list, but you should also look out for: hot or buzzing light switches or cords, if you feel a mild shock or light tingle when touching an appliance, or other things that strike you as odd about your home’s electricity. If you notice any of these things, call a professional immediately. Faulty wiring can cause fire, electric shock, even loss of home and life in severe cases.

If you think something might be up with your home’s electricity and you can’t easily identify what’s going on, give Save Home Heat Electrical Services a call. We want to keep you safe and worry-free in your home so you can do what you do best – enjoy it.